The best of the best at the Orange Park Kennel Club will be strapping on the muzzles and heading out for another great weekend of racing.
We picked the best of the card for Friday, Saturday Matinee, Saturday Evening, and Sunday for a closer look as we feature some of the best greyhounds on our circuit over 550 and 660 yards.
Ready for action, these elite will be doing their best to continue a streak, get back into form, or to make a name for themselves at the Kennel Club.
Up first we look at the 15th and final race on the card for Friday Evening.
1. Jjb Dibaba (Lonesome Cry - Joe's My Man) loves the rail and gets it, but she might be over her head now. With back to back front end wins, she needs to break.
2. Kanuka (Fuzzys Cannon - Well Chosen) is posted up in this effort, but has not fared well recently at the top grade. Hitting the lid the key to her success here.
3. La's Lucy (Get Over - Ruby Is The Best) is as fast as anyone in this field, she just needs to find her break again. In the cash 5 of 6, expect a big effort.
4. Kiowa Vic (Flying Hydrogen - Greg Kiowa Girl) finds himself back in grade A, hot off a win in his last effort. His game is about being close early on, so he has to come out running here.
5. Hallo My Pear (Hallo West Acre - Kiowa Chil Cavel) is the best breaker in the bunch and is really firing well now. She is short late though, and it will cost her again.
6. Wp's Lonesumdove (Lonesome Cry - Fuzzys Spider) is an even runner that needs to be close early on in order to be effective. He is posted well, but will he show up here?
7. Eds Budby (Domingo Dodge - Cherokee Queen) the Orange Park Derby Winner is back on track with back to back wins. With all this early speed, someone closing has the advantage. Cue BUDBY!
8. Changeling (Craigie Whistler - Magic Niki Nite) has shown some good early speed over the route and will need a big break if she wants to contend. From a good post, she might get a piece.
Easy pickins in this race! Eds Budby is the man over 660 yards and with all of the early speeders around, this race sets up just perfectly for him! All he has to do is come out close at the start of this race and there is no one here to run with him in the stretch. The man over this distance three-peats in this effort. Giving her all once again should be Hallo My Pear. The best breaker in this field, she has held the lead in the last two races over Budby, but in the stretch she is no match for him blazing closing speed. She did hold on gamely in the money, and that is what should happen once again tonight. To win, she would need some help behind her. La's Lucy can't be forgotten about here either. She is posted up well and is as fast as anyone in this race. She can go toe to toe with Budby if they are close early. Just getting back into the flow of thing now, her best effort might be ahead of her yet. Kiowa Vic is back in grade A, and we all know that he can hang, but he has to break in order to be effective. He runs his best near the early lead, and without it, he is not the same greyhound. If he can clear on the front end, he might be a longshot winner tonight. (7-5-3-4)
Saturday - 11/13/2010
Now on to feature race three, the 11th on the card for Saturday Evening.
1. Raiders Bart (Dodgem By Design - Raiders Azeri) is jumping for joy from the rail post in this race. He loves it in here and it might be enough to get him back winning again. If he gets loose, it's over.
2. Vanessa Rousso (Kelsos Fusileer - Ctw Gossip News) has really stepped up her game as of late and from another great post position she could be tough to stop tonight. If she gets clear, she will be a handful.
3. Kiowa Vanessa (Flying Hydrogen - Greg Kiowa Girl) has only missed the quiniela once in her last 6 trips around the oval. She has a good break, and great closing speed. Posted up again tonight, watch out!
4. La's Gigi (Be Discrete - La's Felisha) has been flashing her early speed and has post up back to back winning efforts. She can be short late and against this field, she will be. Here's hoping for trouble behind.
5. Playboy Joe (Joe Hearns - Too Late) moves back into the top grade after a big bold win last time out. When he breaks, he has game, when he doesn't he strikes out. Time to see what he has tonight.
6. Tough My Hand (Coldwater Keelin - Midnight Venture) is a hard running, solid grade A, greyhound that can run a bunch when he gets loose. He loves it outside & tonight he is there. Keep an eye out for him.
7. Pj's Favor Tasha (Pk's King Louie - San Tan Tidbit) is a recent ship in that is take well to the racetrack. She can close fast and has already won in grade A. If she can get around, she will challenge.
8. Rs Tallie Ho (Lonesome Cry - Sweet Sandra Sue) breaking is her best attribute and that got her back to back wins and a trip to grade A. Now she needs another one if she wants to stay there. Is she up to it?
Post, drive, and will make Vanessa Rousso a hard out in this effort. She loves the rail and gets to start from there. She has loads of closing speed and even against this talented field, she can hang with the best of them. The only thing that she cannot do, is let the leaders get too far ahead of her early on. All she has to do is clear close, and she should have a great shot at winning this race. It is not going to be easy though as she will have competition from some very talented greyhounds. Raiders Bart is a stakes finalist and also gets a great rail post to start from. He has won 3 of her last 6 in grade A and has done it from the inside part of the racetrack. If he comes out running, the race might be for place. Touch My Hand is another greyhound to respect. He has won 2 of his last 5 in grade A and both came from similar outside post positions. He runs best near the lead, so a solid break would set him up well tonight. Kiowa Vanessa also gets a look with her 2 wins in 4 races and 5 quinielas in 6 trips around the oval. Closing is her forte, but on occasion she can break too. Around the inside part of the racetrack, she might have an issue getting our wide where she wants to be, but if she can, she will factor at the finish line. (2-1-6-3)
Saturday - 11/13/2010
The second feature race is in the 7th on the card for Saturday Matinee.
1. Gm's Cashman (Dodgem By Design - Gs Gertie) is the NOS winner that is always a threat in any race that he draws into. He loves this rail post and should be the one to beat in this effort.
2. Kiowa Gooddesign (Dodgem By Design - Flying Acme) is the best breaker in the field and even though he has not looked as sharp lately, he still can beat a field on the front end. The one to catch today!
3. Kiowa Stan Cay (Flying Hydrogen - Flying Monica K) is a bit inconsistent at times, but still can put up a big effort every now and then. From this post he's tough, you just never know.
4. Kiowa Fly Lori (Flying Stanley - Sl Cassie Lou) put up back to back wins to make it to grade A again, but if she wants to contend, she needs to break or it is going to be a might long afternoon.
5. Given Charger (Atascocita Leroy - Thriller) has just coming back off an extended rest and looks a bit short as he rounds back into shape. A quick break will go a long way to help his effort today.
6. Mr Barret (Fuzzys Cannon - Miss Kissable) is running like the rest of his littermates, TOUGH ON TOP! When he gets out fast, he is a handful for anyone, but without the lead? Can he make it 3 in a row?
7. La's Silver (Be Discrete - La's Felisha) is a strong early speed greyhound that has won 3 of her last 6 efforts. She is really firing on all cylinders right now and will be a major force in this race.
8. Bf Dora (Dodgem By Design - Sol Lasting) is back after a rest and looks to get back on track with a big effort. She loves the rail, this is the 8 box, and she needs to break. If she puts it all together, she might have a chance to factor on fresh legs.
Tough race early here on the front end, but I don't think either one of them takes home the win. Gm's Cashman is just sitting too pretty in this race. He loves the rail and starts out in the railest of post positions with the 1 box. I know he might not have the same early speed as the others in this race, but he has something that they don't, staying power. Stalking to the stretch, and getting up late, is the plan for victory in this effort. La's Silver is the other greyhound that will have a really good shot at taking home in the win in this race. She has been red hot and has enough early speed to wire the field on the front end if she can get loose. She won 3 of 6 starts, including one from a similar post position. If she is on her game, this could be interesting. Leading the way to the stretch will most likely be Kiowa Gooddesign. This greyhound is the best breaker in the bunch and just because he has been off his game as of late, don't be fooled. He can hit the lid at any time and make the rest of the field work hard to get to him before the finish line. The bad news is that he is really short and will prove so once again as they approach the finish line. Could he steal a win? Yes, but he would need help. Mr Barret looks to have returned to form after coming back off a rest. He has been breaking quickly and that has been the difference maker for him. This whole litter can run, but they all have the same flaw, they are not the same without being around the early lead. So with that being said, he might be tough, or he might run out today. (1-7-2-6)
Sunday - 11/14/2010
Capping off the weekend we head to the final feature race, number 11 on Sunday Matinee.
1. Miami On Fire (San Tan Riffraff - Gottagetitdone) is a tremendous looking puppy from DQ. Up the ladder in a hurry and now in grade A. 4 wins in 5 starts and loves the rail. Upset minded today.
2. Penrose Ralene (Dodgem By Design - Penrose Claire) gets overlooked often, but after her last race, I bet not so often. She is a strong closer and can hang late with the best. She just needs to be closer early on.
3. Cayenne Farrari (Dodgem By Design - Cayenne Jet) gets all revved up in the stretch in her races, especially from the rail. Now back in grade A, she has a point to prove, and from a great post, she just might.
4. Leading Steps (Lonesome Cry - Tk Ashira) is a monster breaker that can beat almost anyone to the front end in any race. He pays for it late though and is short in the stretch. He can win on occasion. Is today the day?
5. Chasmo's Peyton (Ww Time Warp - Chasmo's Peggy) is a recent addition to the racetrack has shown some early speed. The 5 box does him no favors, so a strong early rush is needed today.
6. Kb's Iron Mike (Lonesome Cry - Kb's Mossy Tek) needs to put the last race behind him. He missed his break and found trouble. Before that he has been MONEY! Welcome back break & effort in this one.
7. Sabil Tator (Mulberry Gus - Greys Red Ribbon) has not fared too well at the top level of competition in either attempt at it. She has not broke well in any start and will need to if she hopes to have a good trip.
8. Seeyawheniseeyou (Kiowa Sweet Trey - Hoochie Goochie) has not broke in the last two races and it has cost the nice looking pup. If he can return to that sharp starting form, he might have a chance here.
Ok so now it's time to step out on the limb! LOL! I like Miami On Fire in this race. This greyhound has not experience at the top level, but has shown so far that he can run. He has done really well from the rail and can close extremely well. His mom was a monster here when she could get around, and I think he got a big piece of that too. Even without the lead, he can take care of business in the stretch and get it done. Leading the way as the greyhound to beat in this effort is Leading Steps. No one is faster to the turn and the lead than this greyhound, but he has to pay the price in the stretch. Sure he has won before on the lead, but he has been caught way more times heading for home. Expect another great race, but for this time around, he gets caught before the wire. Kb's Iron Mike also has a case as the greyhound to beat in this effort. Forget his last race, it was an off day, but before that he was running really tough. He too is short late, but not as short as Steps can be. He might even be able to outlast Steps in the stretch to steal the win. The key to his success here will be the break. If he comes to run early on, it is going to be very interesting throughout in this effort. Cayenne Ferrari is a whole different greyhound from the rail and the 3 box is close enough to show off her stuff. She finally got up in her last race, after 5 tries, to move back to grade A and is looking forward to the competition. Watch this finely tuned engine press the redline in the stretch again today. (1-4-6-3)