The first round of the 2010 James J Patton Silver Cup is drawn, posted, and ready to go for Friday Evening August 20th at the Orange Park Kennel Club.
Seven full races of greyhounds will take to the racetrack and vie for those all so important points for a chance to move on in the competition and possibly the finals.
Regardless of the outcome of these races, all 7 fields will return on Monday the 23rd for Round 2.
We have a great mix of experience and new comers this year and it should just add to the excitement of each and every race.
So let's jump right into the first of 7 on the card and it comes in the 7th on the card.
1. Eds Budby (Domingo Dodge - Cherokee Queen) Orange Park Derby winner is rested and ready to go. Big closer over 550. Loves this post, needs to step it up earlier in the race. Closing threat tonight.
2. Sunsand Fannymay (Lonesome Cry - Sunsands Sienna) needs to find her break in the worst way. Has been struggling as of late when sitting in the box. Post could help, has to come out running.
3. Hanks Dinah(Lonesome Cry - Dolly Madison) is really on top of her game right now and is breaking and running quick. Posted up on the inside, she is right at home and should factor.
4. Kiowa Top Duke (Flying Penske - Kiowa Berma Top) likes to close in his races, but needs to be around early in order to have a chance. Nearer the rail in this effort, he needs to want it here.
5. Jamboree Frankie (My John Q - Slingshot Misty) can't get around and stay out of trouble as of late and the 5 box won't help in this effort. He needs a clean trip and a route to the rail in order to contend.
6. Big Drama (Get Over - Rooftop Flojo) back at 550 yards for the stakes and over this route, he is a big closer. Expect her to dive to the rail early and come flying up in the deep stretch.
7. Kelsos Spiffy (Kelsos Fusileer - Kelsos Gabriella) has good closing speed and can break on occasion too. Once in front she it tough to take down. The outside post helps her to the lead and maybe a win.
8. Kiowa Vinita (Flying Hydrogen - Greg Kiowa Girl) likes it outside and could throw a big monkey wrench into the plans of the others tonight. All she has to do is be close early and it might be upset time.
Speed might be the key to the lead in this race, but not to the win. Strong closers are all over the place and I don't think that anyone can hold off them all before the finish line. Hanks Dinah should answer the call for the front end in this effort, that is if she keeps breaking like she has been in her last couple of races. Holding on to all the way to the finish line will be the big time task. Kelsos Spiffy might get the nod as barely best at the finish line. Difference maker for her is that she can break and be close early and still come on strong late to steal away the win. The other chasers have to come from off the pace to factor. Also working in her favor is the extra room early on. Big Drama is going straight to the rail when the box opens up and room a plenty on the outside for her. She needs to step up in order to get this done, otherwise the posted up Eds Budby might be charging by in the deep stretch to steal away the win. Over 550 this guy is nothing by a closing machine, and sometimes that comes too late in his races. If he wants to have a shot at a win, he has to get out of the box much better in this effort. Let's not forget the other closer too, Big Drama. Getting to the rail cleanly will really be the task in this race. If she can get there, her late speed will be in full motion at the end of the race. She too has broke on occasion at 550, but that normally comes from the rail posts. If she wants it enough, she could have an outside shot at the upset. (7-3-1-6)
The second stakes round on the hit parade comes to us in the 9th race on the card.
1. Gabe Candice (Flying Penske - Home Town Charm) another converted 660 greyhound going 550 yards for the stakes. Late speed is all you will get from her tonight, but will it be too late to contend?
2. Wp's Commodore (Fuzzys Cannon - M's Countess Amy) has come back off the rest and has looked sharp even though he has not won a race. If he can shake loose early on, he might do it here.
3. Kiowa Vanessa (Flying Hydrogen - Greg Kiowa Girl) needs to get to the outside part of the racetrack. She can, and has in the past, as long as she is close early on, she will be a threat at the finish.
4. Tomco Caliber (Kiowa Sweet Trey - Kb's Apostle) has look pretty good since arriving, but will need a clean trip in order to compete against this tough field. The 4 box is not quite the rail, we'll see.
5. Yo My Delbert (My Zapper - My Cattie Breeze) is an even runner and needs to get back to the breaking form he was in about a month ago. Forget the lines, he can hang, but must start sharply.
6. Leading Steps (Lonesome Cry - Tk Ashira) is the best breaker in the bunch, but has to prove it again here. Edged out in the NOS race, he can hang and win too, we will have to see who shows up.
7. Mr. Clark (Fuzzys Cannon - Miss Kissable) loves to break from this post and needs to break in this race. He is as fast as he wants to be and if he is close, he can win this race. It's his decision to make.
8. Bbr Lovely Won (Flying Earnhardt - Bbf Kissthestars) might be a bit over his head in this effort, but the post is going to help him out. He is best near the early lead and breaking fast might be the equalizer.
There is enough speed here to be dangerous on the front end and that is where Leading Steps should be in this race. This greyhound has really missed his break in the last couple of races and if he gets back to hitting the lid in this one, no one may be able to corral him before the finish line. He is short in the stretch though and that might be a deal breaker in this effort. Chasing him should be Mr. Clark and Wp's Commodore. Both greyhounds are posted up in this effort and either one, on a good day, could run off alone and steal away the victory. Slight edge here to Mr. Clark as he is the better closer of the pair and is closer to the early leader in this race. All he has to do is stalk early and if he is close throughout, he should be too much for the leader at the finish line. Wp's Commodore has run well since returning to live action, but has looked a bit shorter than he did in the past over his last couple of efforts. He is by all means just getting back into the groove of things, and the more he races, the stronger he is going to get. He too likes where he is starting from and if he comes out running, it could be quite a battle royal not only for the lead in this race, but the win as well. Kiowa Vanessa can't be overlooked either tonight. She is a solid competitor when she is near the leaders in the early stages from a good post, that is just where I expect her to be in this effort. She too has some left in the tank in the stretch and could throw her own hat into the ring as they head down the stretch and approach the finish line. If he all goes her way, we might be seeing an upset. (7-6-2-3)
Race 10 is not only the first half of the Mandatory Force out Twin-Tri , it's the third stakes round.
1. Playboy Joe (Joe Hearns - Too Late) really needs to find his break again. That is what got him to grade A and that is what will get him to compete again. Otherwise he is in trouble early. The rail post helps.
2. Kane's Commanche (Dodgem By Design - Summer Showers) has had some rough trips as of late and would do well with a bit of a better break in this one. The inside post is good, showing up is up to him.
3. Comedrinkwithme (Dauntless - Instant Vintage) is a big strong closer from DQ that lives up to the kennels heritage. He likes the rail and is close enough in the 3 box. He could be a big threat here.
4. Daycare Ron (Lonesome Cry - Ml Teardrops) has some closing speed as his disposable, but needs to be close in a race to use it. The 4 box is not a bad spot for him, but he will need to give it all against these.
5. Really Xtreme (Afleet Alex - Xtreme Hustler) might be a puppy, but has stakes winning skills. This Afleet Alex pup is the real deal. The only hindrance here is the post. 7 wins in 9 starts, says it all.
6. Bf Dora (Dodgem By Design - Sol Lasting) might just be the best early speed greyhound in the bunch. When she wants to break she will be in the lead, but she pays for it late. Holding it won't happen here.
7. Gs Ashlynn (Rapido Rambo - Gm's Cutie) has been on a mission since coming back. 3 wins in a row and 4 in 6 races, ouch! Posted up on the wide side where she wants to be, she might just get it done again.
8. Cayenne Ferrari (Dodgem By Design - Cayenne Jet) is a very strong closer when he wants to be. He has shift gears with the best of them late, but prefers the inside post positions. Here in the 8, who knows?
With really only one true big time early speed greyhound in this race, Bf Dora should answer the call and make off with the early lead. Holding it is another conversation of its own. She is short late in the race and there are three big time closers that will be coming at her later in this effort. Most notably Really Xtreme. What a greyhound this puppy has turned into. He is a monster. He can win with or without the early lead and can close like he could run well over any longer distance. He went undefeated to grade A and has won 7 of his 9 official starts. The only drawback here is the post. He is going to have to work to get it done, but he has a shot to win his third straight race tonight. Gs Ashlynn is trying to do Xtreme one better as she is vying for her 4th win in a row. She also gets a better post, she loves it outside, and will be making up ground with every stride late in this effort. She usually breaks better from out here, and if this duo locks up early on, we could be in for quite a ride in this effort. Let's not forget Comedrinkwithme. He too can break, and or, come on late with the best of them at the racetrack. He has won 3 of his last 5 starts and has been in the quiniela 5 times. He too is posted where he wants to be and could be the one ahead of the rest at the finish line. This trio could make for an easy trifecta if all goes to plan in this race. (5-7-3-6)
Up next is the 4th stakes round on the card happening in the 11th race.
1. Whistle Bit (Get Over - Lap Baby ) has been running hot, is posted up in her best box, but might have some trouble with the grade A's. Frankly, she is up two grades and it might be too much for her to handle.
2. Miss Romy (Fuzzys Cannon - Miss Kissable) is a former stakes finalist that loves to race from the rail. Like most DQ dogs, from the lead or from behind, she is on tough cookie. Watch for her late tonight.
3. Wp's Clinton (Fuzzys Cannon - M's Countess Amy) has been red hot since returning to action. With 2 wins and 4 trifectas in 4 races, he is red hot and from a favorable post tonight, he will be tough.
4. Kiowa Trent Tovi (Trent Lee - Kay V Barbierie) Back to 550 for the stakes and hopefully that can spark something in her again. She has been flat as of late and could use a boost. Waiting to see what happens.
5. Citation Cam (Flying Penske - Ctw Miss Kelly) the multi-stakes veteran that has found some fresh legs as of late. She has been breaking again and that has been the difference maker. Here she needs to fire.
6. Gm's Cashman (Dodgem By Design - Gs Gertie) was the NOS winner at the wire. Since he has been in a mini funk and is looking to break out of it. He needs to be closer early if he wants a shot to win.
7. Raiders Bart (Dodgem By Design - Raiders Azeri) is the hottest greyhound in this field. Winning 3 of 5 and finishing in the trifecta in 6 straight, he is a force up front. If he makes the lead, it could all be over.
8. Smokin Snoopy (Go Joe Jester - Smokin Dizzy) has got everything over on the Red Baron as of late. He has been really on top of it and has not missed the money in 6 straight. Upset minded from a good post tonight.
Raiders Bart will probably be the favorite in this race and he might just wire the field on the lead once again, but I think he has to watch out for Wp's Clinton in this effort. Clinton can outbreak everything to his inside and should clear way to close to the leader. Bart has not been run down as of late, but has seen his late lead shrink on several occasions. If Clinton can get around the leader early on, he has a good shot to take home the win, but if Bart clears easily at the turn, this race is probably his too loose. Also in contention will be Gm's Cashman. I don't care about the lines, this is a stake race and in stakes races, this greyhound shows up big time. He has won 4 of 10 starts and has finished in the trifecta 7 times, so you have to keep him on your radar in this effort. Another possible upsetter lurks in the 2 box tonight. Miss Romy finished 3rd in the finals of the 2009 Jacksonville Juvenile and knows how to get things done. What makes her dangerous is that she is not out of the race if she doesn't break. She can close too and can make up more ground in the stretch than probably anyone else in this field. If she does get loose early on, she might just surprise them all in this effort. (3-7-6-2)
Race 12 is the second half of the Forced Out Twin-Tri and the 5th stakes event on the card.
1. Kiowa Shag Along (Flying Stanley - Kiowa Shag Sue) is an early speed machine and he just loves racing from the rail. A whole different greyhound in RED, he still might be able to wire this field on the lead.
2. Gm's Dale (Deerfield Site* - Steffie's Charm) has shown some good early speed as of late and also likes to race from the rail. Everything is going for him tonight, let's see if he can take advantage.
3. La's Silver (Be Discrete - La's Felisha) can hit the lid too and when she makes the lead, she wins races. 3 victories in her last 5 starts, including back to back romps. If she hits it, she will contend.
4. Lrc Last Dance (Late Late Show - Hot Cargo) is a good closer that is really a couple of grades up in this race. She did do well in her last start though. Is she up to this top level task, that is the question!
5. Uss Fine Touch (Uss Raceway - Uss Glimmer) is yet another box beater that will rushing and trying to stick her nose in front in this effort. She might just do it too, but she is short late and that will be costly in this one.
6. Hanks Diana (Lonesome Cry - Dolly Madison) is a steady chaser that normally just follows the pace throughout, but against these short greyhounds, she might have a chance to sneak by in the stretch.
7. Howdoyoulikethat (Lonesome Cry - Here's The Thing) has been quit competitive since joining us here at OP. Enough early speed and enough staying power to be dangerous, and that is what he will be again here.
8. Kiowa Marcus (Lonesome Cry - Mercedes) is a bit of a closer that can make up some ground late on occasion. If the mood suits him, you get a big effort, if he is out of it early on, well. Let's see what we get tonight.
This race is going to be something to watch to the first turn. There are several greyhounds here that will be coming out on a mission at the start of this race. Almost the whole field has the potential to take the early lead in this effort. So who comes out on top at the turn? That is the million dollar question in this effort. I like Kiowa Shag Along. The one box is the big advantage he has over the rest of the field. He totally loves it in here and will make the most of the post in this race. Holding on against short greyhounds might not be all that tough for him, but he still will need a bit of a lead to get it done. It's box to wire time for the win. Pressing him early will be Uss Fine Touch and if can't make the lead, then Tough will, but he is not as short as she is late in the race. She is really coming up short as of late, but if she returns to the form that saw her make a stakes final, she might just be the box to wire winner. La's Silver is also a former stakes finalist and is less short than either of the other two greyhounds late. She can take it coast to coast as well, but beating this speedy duo to the turn is a big task for her to take on. Being a threat throughout though will not be too much to ask, expect it from her in this effort. Despite no wins showing, you have to like Howdoyoulikethat as well in this effort. This greyhound has run with, and beat, some of the best at the racetrack over the last couple of months. He has enough early speed to be around and is not short at the end of the race. Here he even might be able to run down the big time early speeders in the stretch. All he has to do is get close early on, and he will be within striking distance at the wire. (1-3-7-5)
The next to the last race on the card is the 6th stake event, welcome to race 14.
1. Magic Handball (Handball Victory - Magic Scooter) might be a puppy but has some good early speed in her corner and looks like she might be able to hang if she breaks. The one box is a plus for anyone.
2. Ww Kay Sea (Greys Flamebeau - Ww Kiowa Silver) is back over 550 for this stakes round and here she will be a closing machine late in this race. She likes it inside and the post is a bonus. Watch out if she breaks.
3. Ahk Lady Deanna (Coldwater Keelin - C Ya Martinique) must break in this race in order to break out of the slump that she has found herself in as of late. She is better than her lines show and the 3 box could help her out.
4. Really Gonnarock (Afleet Alex - Xtreme Hustler) finally gets away from her littermate and that might just give her a chance to win in grade A. This closing pup has been in the tri in 16 of 18 starts. Expect it again.
5. Tipsy Marcus W (Tipsy Character - Jetstar Streaker) might be better suited for 660 yards, but will do his best over the shorter course for the stakes. Here he is a closer and should be flying up at the wire.
6. Gm's Chicago (Dodgem By Design - Gs Gertie) is heading into the stakes off a pretty impressive win in his last effort. Back in A now and ready to go, let's see if he can make it back to back jacks.
7. Miss Kate (Fuzzys Cannon - Miss Kissable ) is the only solid grade A greyhound in this race and that might give her a class edge over this field. She will need to get to the rail to challenge, but one this is sure, she will be around throughout.
8. Klarissa (Fuzzys Cannon - Well Chosen) has seen better times and can run better than some of her lines show. She is a good closer and can break on occasion. She needs one thing here to be successful, she needs to be close early on.
Even though she might not be in the lead early on against this field, Really Gonnarock is overdue for a win. It is not her fault she has been running against her brother, over, and over, and over again. Here she is finally free and all she needs to do is run her race and she should be able to come out on top. Watch for her to get close early and make up ground throughout to take late control and secure a first round victory. Miss Kate uses that class edge here to contend. Like Gonnarock, she has enough early to stalk around the lead as they head thru the first turn. She too has some close to her and with a clean trip from the outside, she will be coming on strong in the stretch to make the leaders work for it at the wire. Magic Handball gets a look her simply because she is the ONLY real early speed greyhound in this field. She gets the one box too, which is nice, but it won't be enough to carry her to victory. She is still short in the stretch and against a pair of good closers, she should have a problem getting home a winner. Ww Kay Sea also might have something to say about it. She is back over 550 and will be making up ground with every step she takes around the racetrack. The recent shipper and has ok so far, but is still getting used to the new surface. Once she figures it out, she will be a bigger threat, tonight could be when the lightbulb goes on. (4-7-1-2)
Capping off the evening in the final race on the card, the 7th stakes event comes in race 15.
1. Kiowa Trent Tam (Trent Lee - Kay V Barbierie) is currently the best over 660. How will that translate to 550, just fine. The one box is a huge bonus as she loves the rail. She can & will compete tonight.
2. Kiowa Top Design (Dodgem By Design - Flying Acme) has shown some closing speed in the past, but she is not that much of a fan favorite. She can upset on occasion, 3 starts ago, but against this field, that is a big task.
3. Paddy Whacker (Heart Rumble* - Spicy Candy) was the last stakes winner and has the best raw speed of anyone in this field. The post is his biggest hurdle here, if he clears it could be all over.
4. Ru Tuff Enuf (Let's Winendine - Faith Keeper) is back in the nick of time and will only get stronger the more he goes around the racetrack. He used to be a stud runner, soon enough we will see if he still has IT!
5. Switzler Takeoff (Clappin Thunder - Switzler Firefly) is trying her best to get back into the top level at the racetrack and has the skills to do it. Here up against the best the track has to offer & starting from the 5 box, she might just be overwhelmed.
6. Skiddy Banjo (Dodgem By Design - Kansas Factor) has righted the ship as of late simply by breaking better. The closer he is early, the closer he is at the finish line. A good closer, look for him late tonight.
7. Eds Go Touch (Domingo Dodge - Cherokee Queen) yet another greyhound moving back to 550 for the stakes. He has had some success here in the past, and surprise, he will be a closer. If he can get to the rail, he will be moving up late.
8. Kiowa Kay Share (Solitary Runner - Sol Happy) has only missed the money once at OP. A strong closer that might be short on experience, but is long on talent. From this outside post, she could be the one to beat.
It's tough to pick against the only multi-round stakes winner over 550 in the field, but I have to do it and the only reason is the post position. Paddy Whacker is going to go wide, he will have to wait to get there as the 4 outbreaks him and by that time Kiowa Kay Share will already be on her way to stalking the leaders and taking command of this effort. Just look a couple of races ago, the same thing happened and in that race Paddy had the same 3 box that he has in this effort. The POST is the main reason. If he was in the 8 box, well that is a different story. So let's talk about who is going to break. Ru Tuff Enuf is going to break. Look at his last race, he hit the lid and came out running. Ok, so it was the 1 box, but he has room here as well in the 4 at the break and should be in the lead. He is still working back into form and was short last time out, does that happen again? Yep! So Kiowa Kay Share is the one to beat for me in this effort. She can just follow closely around the corner and turn on those jets late in the race to steal away the win from the leaders in the stretch. Example, 5 races back from this same post, win by 4 lengths in 30.58 seconds. Look for that again here. Against this tough trio, the other posted up greyhound can't be forgotten about. Kiowa Trent Tam must get a look in this race, especially from the 1 box. Remember she has won a round before over this distance from a similar post, the third round of the 2010 Jacksonville Sprint Classic, and might be able to surprise again. Running better than she ever has, she is at the top of her game and that might just translate well to this distance too. (8-3-4-1)