A little Herman's Hermits here on a Monday at the Orange Park Kennel Club.
You know, "Second verse, same as the first." It's time for the 2nd round of the 2010 James J Patton Silver Cup. Seven full races of the best at the racetrack are on tap once again tonight.
If you missed the first round on Friday then you really missed some fantastic greyhound racing. In the 7 stakes events on the card, we had seven different winning kennels. No one doubled up and the points are all spread out all over the place. The 2010 stakes winners stole the show. Paddy Whacker and Eds Budby looked very strong and are well on their way to another finals, but they still have to keep it going if they want to get there.
So let's jump right into the first of seven on the card and it comes your way in the 4th race.
1. Miss Romy (Fuzzys Cannon - Miss Kissable) gave a game chase in round 1 from the rail and gets another great post to start this race from. Even without the lead she is tough. Upset minded here.
2. Ahk Lady Deanna (Coldwater Keelin - C Ya Martinique) had trouble in round one and still made it into the money. Here from a similar post, he will need to break fast in order to contend.
3. Ww Kay Sea (Greys Flamebeau - Ww Kiowa Sister) closed well after trouble in round one. Breaking better would definitely be in her best interest here. If she gets close early, watch out.
4. Magic Handball (Handball Victory - Magic Scooter) is all about the early speed and was in contention to the 1st turn in the 1st round. There he found trouble, here he needs to stay clear to factor.
5. Jamboree Frankie (My John Q - Slingshot Mary) draws the tough 5 box here and needs to improve on that 5th place finish if he wants to move one. Breaking quick would be his best ally tonight.
6. Lrc Last Dance (Late Late Show - Hot Cargo) couldn't get around the turn in round one, and that needs to improve here. A big rusher, not breaker, she needs to get a lane early on or her fate might be sealed once again.
7. Leading Steps (Lonesome Cry - Tk Ashira) is the best early speed greyhound and the one first round winner in this race. He is tough on top and that is where he is going to be. He is the one to take down.
8. Wp's Commodore (Fuzzys Cannon - M's Countess Amy) was bumped out of contention in round 1 and needs to make amends in this race. With this outside post, he could factor early and often tonight.
Let's burst into the lead and the picks with Leading Steps. No one is going to beat this greyhound to the lead or the turn in this effort. The only question for him is, can he steal enough to hold on late and win again? He kept to the game plan in round one and it went to his advantage. Here will no one coming out to challenge him early on again, it should be back to back victories. Chasing the pace throughout will be posted up duo from the far ends of the racetrack. Miss Romy loves the rail and has enough early to get close and enough late to challenge for the win in this race. She loves this post and has been in the money in 5 races in a row and 7 of 9 in her career wearing red. Winning is not out of the realm of possibilities for her in this effort. Wp's Commodore was in the thick of things last time before getting run into. Here he gets a better post away from the crowd and someone to chase early to the turn. With both of these things working to his advantage, he could decided that it's time to drop a 30.30 something on this field. He has the best raw speed and if he shows up to use it tonight, he could prove unstoppable. Ww Kay Sea is back over 550 yards and has proven to be a strong closer over the shorter distance. She can come on with the best of them, and if you know me at all, I love those closers to complete the super. Winning it all would be a surprise to say the least, but contending late for a bit higher money position could happen. The effort is all up her. (7-1-8-3)
Right back in race 5, we see another stakes qualifying field of greyhounds, the 2nd on the card.
1. Switzler Takeoff (Clappin Thunder - Switzler Firefly) is really up two grades in these stakes rounds and looked out of place from the 5 box in round 1. Here the rail is more her style and the effort should improve.
2. Kiowa Vinita (Flying Hydrogen - Greg Kiowa Girl) is a solid chaser from the far inside or far outside posts. Another great starting box here for her, so another strong attempt should be made.
3. Comedrinkwithme (Dauntless - Instant Vintage) has really come out of the box strong in back to back efforts, and in turn he has dominated! If he rushes best again, FORGETABOUT IT, he 3-peats!
4. Citation Cam (Flying Penske - Ctw Miss Kelly) is the cagey veteran that can hit the lid and steal away the lead and the win whenever she wants to. You just never know when that is. Better as of late, keep an eye out for her again.
5. Hanks Diana (Lonesome Cry - Dolly Madison) is a solid grade A greyhound that prefers the inside posts. Here she will have to make due from the 5 box. Can she contend? Yes, but she must be close early.
6. Whistle Bit (Get Over - Lap Baby) looked a bit outclassed in round one as she sat in the box and was never really a factor. She has proven in the past she has what it takes to contend, she needs to step up and show it tonight.
7. Tomco Caliber (Kiowa Sweet Trey - Kb's Apostle) is better than his lines show and has run tough here in the past. Coming off a rest it might take a bit to get back on track, but time is running out for him. He needs to step it up now!
8. Kiowa Top Duke (Flying Penske - Kiowa Berma Top) doesn't have a lot going for him in this effort. Out of place, overclassed, and in need of the rail. He is not out of contention though. All he has to do is break quickly and it could be the equalizer in this effort.
Tough to pick against Comedrinkwithme. This greyhound is on fire right now and has posted up back to back winning efforts. His first round romp was the biggest margin of victory on any of the qualifying rounds, and not only did he make the front easily, he drew away from the field with every stride. What makes him double tough is that he can do it without the front end too. From off the pace he is just as dangerous, and tonight despite where he is at the 1st turn, he will give his all and should be the one to beat here. Kiowa Vinita ran a game third in round one and should be staking again throughout once again in this effort. Normally a closer, she too can break on occasion and usually that comes from either the far inside or outside posts. Here from the 2 box she is close enough to the rail to be effective. If she clears early on, she will give the leaders a run for their money. Citation Cam remains the big wildcard in this, and frankly any, race that she runs in. She has been here and done this so many times, but has yet to win that ever elusive stakes title. Breaking is the key to her winning races and she needs to find it again in this effort. Even with a long lead, she might not win here, but it would go a long way to help her contend. So her mantra for the night is, BREAK, BREAK, BREAK! Hanks Diana is a solid grade A competitor that never gives up in any race that she is close in, so a good break will be needed, especially from the 5 box in this effort. She has some closing speed and could use it to her advantage late in this effort. Winning is not forgotten about here for her either, but it would take an exceptional break from the box to get that done. If she wants to run, she will be in the money. (3-2-4-5)
Now on to the 3rd stakes qualifier on the card, the 7th race for Monday evening.
1. Skiddy Banjo (Dodgem By Design - Kansas Factor) is totally out of position in this effort. He likes it wide and this is the one box. He does have some closing speed, so that might help him late. Breaking fast might ease the post too.
2. Bbr Lovely Won (Flying Earnhardt - Bbf Kissthestars) is up 2 grades in this race and will need to step up his game if he wants to hang with the big dogs. He has the chops to go it and from his first inside post in a while, tonight might be the night.
3. Gm's Chicago (Dodgem By Design - Gs Gertie) is on top of his breaking and his game right now. Both have come in handy and even though he had help in round 1, he was still going to win it. To the lead and gone again could be the battle cry tonight.
4. Eds Go Touch (Domingo Dodge - Cherokee Queen) is better suited for the longer distances, but if he can get some room to run, he can be a late threat over 550 yards. The problem is the post, the 4 is a tough place to start from to stay clean.
5. Smokin Snoopy (Go Joe Jester - Smokin Dizzy) has been on quite a run, but that ended with trouble in round 1. Tonight the 5 box lurks and so might the return of a trouble trip. If he wants to avoid it, he needs to pop the box.
6. Really Gonnarock (Afleet Alex - Xtreme Hustler) saw her 6 race in the money streak end in the 1st round, but this closing puppy will rebound in this effort. She likes it out here and will have a shot to record her 1st ever stakes win.
7. Miss Kate (Fuzzys Cannon - Miss Kissable) has some bad luck in round 1 and fell, so all the points she can muster will be needed in this effort. She has enough closing speed to contend, she just needs to get around the turn in order to use it.
8. Wp's Clinton (Fuzzys Cannon - M's Countess Amy) likes it outside and has won his last two races on this side of the racetrack. He is at his best on the lead and could clear easily from here. If he comes to run, he could be tough to beat.
Breaking fast will be the key to success in this effort. Gm's Chicago has been the king of that as of late, so I think that he gets the nod again in this effort. He has posted up back to back wins and has looked strong with his nose in front in both of those efforts. Tonight there is no early speeders around him, and if he breaks like he has been, he should be unabated to the early lead. Holding on might be the question here as this field is a bit tougher that the last two he has beat. Stalking throughout and challenging the leaders every step should be Wp's Clinton. This great is more that infatuated with the outside, he absolutely loves it. The wider the better and you can't get wider than the 8 box. He normally breaks fast from out here and tonight that trend should continue. With better overall raw speed than Chicago, Clinton could possibly get to the finish line ahead of everyone. If he does make the lead early, this race will be over. Really Gonnarock might not have the experience as the other greyhounds, but she just as much talent. Everyone needs to forget about that last effort. She found trouble and no one is perfect. Tonight she will rebound from a favorable post as she makes up ground all the way to the finish line. The other name not to forget is Miss Kate. She has to run well here if she wants a chance to even move on in the stakes. Bad luck and a fall might keep her out, but she is not going to go down without a fight. She is a good closer that can hang against the best the racetrack has to offer. Granted she might like the rail posts better than this one, but she will make due. Winning is a big stretch for her, but factoring at the wire in the money could be sure bet if she stays on all fours tonight. (3-8-6-7).
Pushing on to stakes race number 4 on the card featuring the runners in the 9th race.
1. Kane's Commanche (Dodgem By Design - Summer Showers) is not running as well as he has in the past, but the 1 box could change all of that in this effort. He has untapped potential, tonight he could find himself.
2. Pat C Bk Shiraz (Black Shiraz - Paradise) is all about breaking and that is something has eluded him over his last several races. Posted up well on the rail in this effort, he needs to get back to breaking in order to contend.
3. Sunsand Fannymay (Lonesome Cry - Sunsands Sienna) was an even chaser in round 1 and even found the money at the wire. Tonight is she wants to up the ante, she will need to come out of the starting box better.
4. Uss Fine Touch (Uss Raceway - Uss Glimmer) totally missed her break in the 1st round and I don't expect it to happen in back to back efforts. She WILL come out running and everyone else is going to have to run her down tonight.
5. Howdoyoulikethat (Lonesome Cry - Here's The Thing) is coming into this race hot off a win in round 1. Here the 5 box is not near the rail and he will have to work to get there. Factoring throughout like he almost always does, Howdoyoulikethat give his all.
6. Kiowa Marcus (Lonesome Cry - Mercedes) is wishing for a clean trip and a possible route to the inside part of the racetrack in this effort. He breaks better from the inside, but will have to make due from the 6. If could be too much to overcome.
7. Paddy Whacker (Heart Rumble* - Spicy Candy) is clearly the class of the racetrack and he proved it again in round 1 with the biggest victory. In a better post position tonight, this race could be even easier to win. If he comes out like he did in his last start, RACE OVER!
8. Kiowa Top Design (Dodgem By Design - Flying Acme) is a strong threat as long as he can get around the turn close in his races. He might not run anyone down late, but he has enough staying power to hang close. If he clears here, he could factor at the finish line.
Do I really need to give you a pick here? Ok, I'll go with Paddy Whacker! This is for sure, without a doubt, his race to lose. He is head and shoulders above this field for a couple of reasons. He is running hot as of late, see his last race where he posted up the fastest time in the rounds, he is a former stakes winner, he knows how to get things done against the best at the racetrack, and he is posted up, in his 16 of 18 in the money winning 6 of his last 8 from the outside post positions. Paddy is the cream of the crop over 550 now and will prove it again in this effort. Here we come 30.30 something! Runner-up is saved for the other stakes round winner in this race, Howdoyoulikethat. This greyhound has enough early to get close and enough left late to maintain that position all the way to the finish line. The post won't matter all the much as he will get extra room with the empty box and the 4 dog jumping to the early lead. All he has to do is chase and secure his position at the finish line. Kiowa Top Design might just be the second best early speed greyhound in this field. What he needs to do is PROVE it. He needs to come out quickly in this effort in order to get around the turn around the leaders. If he can get it done then he should be able to factor at the finish line. Now for the breaking portion of our program. Uss Fine Touch is clearly the best early speed greyhound in this field and she will not miss her break in back to back efforts. She is going to come out running tonight and will take the lead to the stretch. The problem is that she is no match for the chasers in the stretch. Each has more left than she does and her lead just won't be enough to hold on for the win. Giving everything she has on the front end, she come up short of the goal once again in the stretch tonight. (7-5-8-4)
The 5th stakes race on the card comes to us by the way of the 10th race on the card, the first half of the Forced out Twin-Trifecta.
1. Daycare Ron (Lonesome Cry - Ml Teardrops) is a good closer that made up ground well in round 1 of the stakes. A midtrack runner and one box might be misused on him in this effort. He will keep coming, but it might just be too little too late tonight.
2. Cayenne Ferrari (Dodgem By Design - Cayenne Jet) is a good closer like his rail posted buddy but one thing is different, he likes to race from here. This is a great post for him and from here, he normally breaks well. If he gets loose early, he might be upset minded.
3. Raiders Bart (Dodgem By Design - Raiders Azeri) proved once again in round 1 why he is considered a tough out at the Orange Park Kennel Club. He breaks fast and once in front, he is tenacious. With 2 in a row and 4 in 6 starts, he will have a target on his back again tonight.
4. Gabe Candice (Flying Penske - Home Town Charm) is more suited for 660 yards, but can come from off the tailgate and surprise at 550 too. Normally she waits too long to make her move, and that happened already in round 1. She needs to come on sooner to have a shot.
5. Gm's Cashman (Dodgem By Design - Gs Gertie) wins the award for the greyhound that is far better than his lines show. This Night of Stars winner as failed to break in his last 6 races in a row. If he gets it back tonight, he could easily upset this field.
6. Mr. Clark (Fuzzys Cannon - Miss Kissable) is as fast as he wants to be and was pretty fast in round 1. Here he is posted outside again and should get room early on. If he breaks close, he will be a continuous threat in this effort.
7. Kiowa Trent Tovi (Trent Lee - Kay B Barbierie) is back over 550 yards and fared really well in round 1. He got to the rail and closed late to find the trifecta. Here he is way more outside and will have to work hard to get there without a ruckus. Either way, look for him late.
8. Kiowa Kay Share (Solitary Runner - Sol Happy) has won half of her official races. She has great closing speed and can break fast on occasion. She likes it outside and if she wants to run early, and makes the lead, no one here will be able to catch her.
Going with the hot hand I'm going to take Raiders Bart to win this race. He has been tough for a while now and has proven time and time again that he can beat a good group of grade A greyhounds. With 2 wins in a row and 4 in his last 6 efforts, he is on fire and is the one to not only beat to the lead but the finish line. He has not speed around him at all and he should be in front in the first couple of steps from the starting box. Once there the closers will be coming, but this greyhound is not short and will coast around the racetrack for the win. Coming the closest to taking down Bart before the finish line will be Kiowa Kay Share. This greyhound loves it out here and is a strong closer to boot. She could even possible break close, like she did 6 races back, and turn on a stretch charge to make it interesting at the finish line. If everything goes her way, she has a shot to beat Bart in this effort. Mr. Clark must also get a look in this effort. He too is posted up well and even though it is away from his beloved rail. From the outside post he breaks better and that is all he needs in order to be effective. When he is close is when he runs his best and if he could beat everyone to the turn, he too could have a shot at the upset in this effort. With only one true early speed greyhound here, Bart, Mr. Clark is poised to make some noise. Cayenne Ferrari is all revved up and ready to close from her favorite spot on the racetrack, THE RAIL. She loves it inside and will make the most of the post once again in this effort. Belated though it will be, she will give her all in the stretch in order to challenge the leaders as they approach the finish line. This is her first inside post in her last 8 race and that last time she was inside of the 4 box, she won a grade A race. (3-8-6-2)
The second to the last qualifier comes to you in the 11th race on the card.
1. Really Xtreme (Afleet Alex - Xtreme Hustler) totally sat in the box in round 1 and still managed to finish 2nd. Here from the rail post, expect him to closer early on and for him to get back to winning. The best pup at the track 7 wins & 9 quinielas in 10 official starts.
2. Bf Dora (Dodgem By Design - Sol Lasting) pushed the early pace in round one before being bumped and fading back out of the money late. She is posted better tonight and if she can make the lead early, she might factor better up the ladder at the wire.
3. Ru Tuff Enuf (Let's Winendine - Faith Keeper) still has the jury out on his return to racing. He looked good in the turn up, but the rail dive without the lead in round 1 was ill tried. Here he is closer in the 3 box, but needs to find the break that made him so dangerous in the past.
4. Playboy Joe (Joe Hearns - Too Late) has not been breaking well as of late and in turn he has not been finishing all that well either. He needs to get back to what got him into grade A, his break, and needs a break too. Staying out of trouble would also help him go a long way in this effort .
5. Gs Ashlynn (Rapido Rambo - Gm's Cutie) didn't break and found trouble in round 1 and finished out of the money. Previous to that she had 3 wins in a row. The 5 box is not the outside, but she will have to make up for last time. Closing at 550 is just what she does, so expect a bold finish.
6. Kiowa Shag Along (Flying Stanley - Kiowa Shag Sue) is a monster from the starting box and proved it again in round 1. Ok, so she was short late, but she just missed wiring the field. Expect the same here and if there is help behind her, you never know.
7. Eds Budby (Domingo Dodge - Cherokee Queen) looked mighty impressive in his first round race, but he did have the 1 box and room at the break. Here from the outside, things might be that kind to him. He still has that all out closing speed though, so he should be able to overcome trouble and contend.
8. Gm's Dale (Deerfield Site* - Steffie's Charm) is a solid grade A competitor that can break with the best of them and hold on in the money at the finish line. He is a little short late, but has won his share on the lead as well. A big break is needed by him in this race.
Puppy Power unite in the 11th race on the card. Really Xtreme has really impressed everyone since arriving at the Orange Park Kennel Club and with this one box, he is going to take home his first ever stakes win. She has enough to stalk behind the leaders early on, and in the stretch he will drive by and dash all of their hopes before the finish line. Leading the way early on should be Kiowa Shag Along. Shag Along is all early speed all the time and despite any post, she comes to break in each and every effort. No way she holds on against this talented trio of closers, but a girl can dream if she wants to. Also trying to run down the early speeder will be a pair of 660 yard greyhounds. Eds Budby and Gs Ashlynn both have good closing skills and either one could steal away the win late, but both will have to get out close if they want to get it done. Advantage here to Budby. That is just what he did in his last race. He broke on top and would not be denied. Ok, so no lead here, but around the lead, sure. He will factor and might even get back to back wins. Ashlynn needs to overcome that last effort where she sat in the box, and get back to the form that saw her win 3 races in a row from behind. Clearly from the 5 box might be her biggest problem in this effort, but if she can get outside and get room to run, you never know. (1-7-6-5)
Capping off the stakes events in the second half of the Forced out Twin-Trifecta in race 12.
1. Kiowa Vanessa (Flying Hydrogen - Greg Kiowa Girl) would like a do over on the post draw in this race. She is as wide as they come and gets to start from the railest of post positions. Talk about wrong place at the wrong time. This is going to be a rough trip.
2. Yo My Delbert (My Zapper - My Cattie Breeze) is not going to set the world of fire with win streaks, but he has been in contention in 4 races in a row and made the trifecta in round 1. A solid B greyhound in against the A's. Holding his own, the post is a bonus.
3. Kiowa Trent Tam (Trent Lee - Kay V Barbierie) is the best 660 greyhound now, but in round 1 she proved that she was not a one trick wonder. She closed well throughout and finished next best. Near the rail again tonight, expect another strong closing effort.
4. Klarissa (Fuzzys Cannon - Well Chosen) took advantage of a big benefit in round 1 and made the most of it with a close second place finish. Here the 4 might even be more to her liking. She won from here 4 starts back. Breaking will not be a option tonight.
5. La's Silver (Be Discrete - La's Felisha) has forgotten how to break as of late and in turn her races have been trouble ridden. Tonight she gets room with the empty post and no speed to her inside. Everything is set up for her, now she just need to execute the plan.
6. Kelsos Spiffy (Kelsos Fusileer - Kelsos Gabriella) has been a force since breaking in at Orange Park. A breaker and closer, Spiffy is a double threat in any race. Just missing in round one, this start might be redemption time.
7. Tipsy Marcus W (Tipsy Character - Jetstar Streaker) is a former 660 greyhound that fills the closers role here over 550 yards. He can come on with the best of them late and from the outside he is even more dangerous. If he gets room late, he will come flying to challenge.
8. Hanks Dinah (Lonesome Cry - Dolly Madison) was running hot before the first round, but a missed break and some trouble ended all of that. Back outside where she can get a clean lane to rush to the turn in, expect her to get back on course in this effort.
This race of all of them on the card could go any way depending on who decides they want to run. Kelso Spiffy get the edge here because even if she doesn't make the early lead in this race, she can rebound from off the pace and still take home the win at the finish line. This double threat is posted up and ready to walk away with the win this effort and I think it is going to be tough to keep her from taking it. She will have to work though as I feel that La's Silver is going to find her break, hit the lid, and lead for the majority of this effort. Silver has been short on the late lead in the past and could prove so once again in this effort. Even if Spiffy can't get there before the finish line, Kiowa Trent Tam might. Even though she looks better over 660 yards, she can be a threat at 550 too. She is just a closer over the short distances and with another good inside post position, she should be late factor once again tonight. Let's not forget Hanks Dinah either. This greyhound gets room outside here, and if she breaks, she is going to be effective once again in this effort. She has all the tools needed to be successful and needs to make up for her last effort. If all the planets fall into alignment, she might be able to steal away the win in this race. (6-3-5-8)