Well no matter what you will need to know about the stakes and we are ready to fill you in. The finals of the 2011 Orange Park Derby will run in the 11th race on the card for Saturday Evening and feature the best greyhounds at the racetrack over 660 yards. Below is a little info about each greyhounds and a race breakdown.
1. La's Lucy (Get Over - Ruby Is The Best) Lucy couldn't have draw it up any better than this. She is on top of her game now, she can win with or without the lead, and she is in a great starting box. All she has to do is come out fast, stalk the pace throughout, and this race should be hers to lose. Remember no one in the last 14 years has been faster over 660 yards than LUCY!
2. Akeem (Rhythmless - Sweet Darla) Akeem might be a converted sprinter, but he has taken well to the added distance. He loves the rail and the 2 box will go a long way to help him out in this effort. He can close a bit at the end of the race too, but the break will be more critical for him in this effort. If he wants a chance to steal away the win, he has to be really close early on.
3. Really Xtreme (Afleet Alex - Xtreme Hustler) No greyhound has been more impressive as of late than Really Xtreme. Over the 660 yard course he has been short though, so he is going to have to Really steal a big time lead in this race. He held on the front end in round 1, can he do it again? In this race he reminds me of another Mike Gerard trained greyhound, named Sugarnooche, and if you remember she won her Orange Park Derby race.
4. Make U Look (Diamond's For Me - Let's Run To Win) The hottest greyhounds heading into the finals gets no time to rest on her laurels. She has to keep up the good work against this talented field. Proving that she belongs, this converted sprinter is a closing threat over 660 and is just learning how to break. If she does clear close in this effort, she might just prove unstoppable at the wire.
5. Kanuka (Fuzzys Cannon - Well Chosen) Didn't win a race in qualifying, but maybe she is saving her best for last. I think this is going to be a tough row to hoe for this greyhound tonight. When she runs her best she is out of the box fast and holds on late. Tonight she is not the best early speed, she gets the 5 box, and has to find a way to the rail. If she can overcome all of the obstacles, she might have a shot at the money in this race.
6. Paddy Whacker (Heart Rumble* - Spicy Candy) Won his last effort from this post position by 12 lengths. Everyone knows he loves it outside and gets far enough outside here to challenge. His last race was big time as he closed throughout and overcame adversity to finish 2nd. Tonight the break is the most important part of this effort. He needs to be out fast and around the conversation for the early lead. If he is stalking at the start, he is going to be a major piece of the puzzle come the finish line.
7. Gs Tee Up (Afleet Alex - Gm's Peachykeen) Tee Up might not get the hype that the rest of the big names do, but he has been just as good over the 660 yard course. He has never missed the money in any of his added distance races, and tonight from the outside post the trend should continue. He uses his early speed to his advantage over the route and will need to keep breaking in order to factor here. He has everything working for him at the start of this effort, he just need a carpe diem moment.
8. Hallo My Pear (Hallo West Acre - Kiowa Chil Cavel) Pear is an all out early speed greyhound that needs to be in front in this effort. She is short at the end of the race and without the lead, it could be a long, long night. Pear has the most experience of any greyhound in this field, and knows how to win races. He didn't record one in qualifying, but in the past the O'Donnell has won final round races with greyhounds that have squeaked their way into the big race. Winning is probably a stretch, but if he does what he can do early, he might have a shot at the money.
Ok now for the race break down. As the lure swings by I think that Really Xtreme is going to come out running. I see this greyhound taking the lure away from the rest of the field. He is going to steal a big time lead and stretch to out all the way to the far turn. His problem as I see it is that the chasers are going to be coming, and coming fast at the end of the race. The only real question is, can he steal enough to hold on at the wire, or is he going to get caught in the final few strides? I think he gets nipped. I think that La's Lucy is just posted up too well on the rail and will be too close too early not to get it done. She definitely has the late speed to take down the leader and in their last match up she shrank an 8 length lead to a length and a half at the finish line. As the only returning finalist, she wants to make amends for her effort in the finals last year. She does whatever she needs to do in this race to win. Paddy Whacker should also be considered a threat in this effort. He loves it outside and the 6 box is far wide enough for him to put up a big time effort. He can close over this distance, but if he wants to win, he is going to have to break. He has to be around in the conversation early if he is going to have a shot at taking home the title. B & J has won this race in 2 of the last 4 years. Don't be surprised if he is ready to fire on this occasion. Gs Tee up gets the other look here as the greyhound with the perfect record. Tee Up has never missed the money over 660 yards and should keep the good mojo going in this effort. He likes it outside and draws a favorable post position here in the 7 box. His early speed keeps him around the lead and late, even though he can be short, he has enough left to last in the money. If he can make the front end, he could be the longshot of the day. (1-3-6-7) PLAYS for boxes, PLAYS for keys (13/13/2467) (2467/13/13) (2467/13/2467) (2467/2467/13)
Remember to make you plans to join us live for all of the racing and cash giveaways, or check the stream out on line to see who the best of the best at the racetrack is over 660 yards, in the finals of the 2011 Orange Park Derby. POST TIME around 10:30.