What an exciting weekend ahead at the Orange Park Kennel Club. One filled with interesting questions!
Can the puppy stakes winner get back to winning? Can the Night of Stars winner get back on top at the wire? Can the Night of Stars runner up get some revenge? Can the old timer get it done once again on the lead? And the most burning question can the Afleet Alex pup continue to remain undefeated in his young career?
All of these questions, and more, will be answered this weekend at the Orange Park Kennel Club.
Many answers come in the first race on the weekend in the 10th race for Friday night.
1. Ahk Lady Deanna (Coldwater Keelin - C Ya Martinique) is a solid grade A greyhound that likes the rail and has enough early speed to be around early on. A sleeper at best, she might just surprise all tonight.
2. Gm's Cashman (Dodgem By Design - Gs Gertie) was the NOS winner and took down the leader late to get it done. In against steps again, it could be his chance to get back into the winners circle at the line.
3. Leading Steps (Lonesome Cry - Tk Ashira) is the best breaker in the bunch and will have the early lead in this race. Her only question is, can she hold off all of the late speed in the deep stretch and win?
4. Kiowa Judge (Kiowa Sweet Trey - Kiowa Agent) has taken well to the racetrack and has showing some talent around the front end in races. He will need to come out running in order to contend here.
5. Paddy Whacker (Heart Rumble* - Spicy Candy) was the puppy stakes winner and has the best raw speed of anyone in this race. He is almost outside, which is good, but he needs to be closer early on in order to get up late to steal away the win.
6. Kiowa Dani (Kiowa Sweet Trey - Kiowa Mary Tammi) rested and ready to go again, this early speed only machine is best on the front end of races. She needs to come out running here against this tough field.
7. Klarissa (Fuzzys Cannon - Well Chosen) is a solid grade a chaser that can come on a bit at the end of her races. Here the post is not in her favor, but if she gets around well, she might be a super factor.
8. Come On Takatrip (Fuzzys Cannon - Instant Vintage) is a big strong closer from DQ that will be making it interesting late in this effort. Don't look for him early on, but if the mood suits him, he could be a force at the finish line.
Very interesting race here. We all know who is going to the early lead, Leading Steps, but once again is he going to be able to hold it till the finish line. He just missed in the Night of Stars race as Gm's Cashman stole away the win in the final few steps. Can that happen again here? Sure, but it might be Paddy Whacker that takes the thunder from both of them. If he wants to run, no one or no lead, will be safe. He has tremendous raw speed and can come from nowhere to take home the victory. These three should be a good play no matter how you slice it. Three fantastic greyhounds battling early and late for the win. Isn't that what everyone wants to see and bet on? I DO! The best of the rest prize goes out to Klarissa. Enough early to get close and enough late to stay there for the duration. Forget the last effort and concentrate on the previous 5 in row in the money. (3-2-5-7)
Saturday - 7/31/2010
Race two is the 11th on the card for Saturday matinee at the Orange Park Kennel Club.
1. Uss West Coast (Lonesome Cry - Uss Mysterious) loves the rail and you can't get any closer than the 1 box! Breaking quick is the only concern. If he can clear early, he might just be the one to beat in this effort.
2. For The Win (Lewis And Wax - Ww Ellen's Time) like most out of this dam, they are as fast as they want to be, you just really never know when the light will be turned on. If she breaks fast, watch out!
3. Kiowa Mon Dolly (Kiowa Mon Manny - Kiowa Kays Dream) comes back off an extended leave and jumps right back in against the grade A's . Too much, too soon, could be her calling card today.
4. Daycare Ron (Lonesome Cry - Ml Teardrops) is a strong closer that needs to just get around the track cleanly. Without the trouble he will be coming on strong late and challenging for a spot in the money.
5. Miss Kate (Fuzzys Cannon - Miss Kissable) is riding high off a strong win in her last effort. Clearly from the 5 box might be the biggest hurdle, but if she is around early, her late speed gives her a chance to post up back to back wins.
6. Howdoyoulikethat (Lonesome Cry - Here's The Thing) is tough on top and might just be able to get there in this effort. He is nowhere near his beloved rail, so he will have to work hard in order to win his 3rd race in his last 5 starts.
7. Gs Craig (Lonesome Cry - Tv Candycane Gal) has just moved back to grade A and needs to use his early speed if he wants to stick around. The outside post do him no favors for getting to the rail, today it's all on him.
8. Kiowa Mc Gee (Kiowa Sweet Trey - Kiowa Wild Color) is still just a puppy trying to figure it all out on the racetrack. He has grade A talent, he just needs some more experience. If he can have a unmarred effort, his late speed might get him into contention.
This race is wide open and it really depends on who decides to show up at the start of this effort. No matter what I like the late speed of Miss Kate. She is not phony and will just keep on coming no matter what happens to her in this effort. The 5 box is a big minus. I know she won from there last time out, but she got kind of lucky. If she can follow the speed to the turn, she has a great shot at back to back jacks. Uss West Coast also gets a good look here simply because of the post position. Don't get me wrong, this greyhound can run and run well, but on the rail he takes it to a whole different level. He too needs to be close enough early on, so the break will be critical for him to have a chance to win here. Howdoyoulikethat might just be the best early speed greyhound in the field. He has proven in the past that he can get there and against this field he might just pop the box and be the one to catch. If he does hit the lid, the race might just be for place today. Let's not forget the faucet greyhound, For The Win. This hot and cold runner can show up at the darnest times and steal away the win. You never know when he is going to show up, so you need to keep him in your quiver just in case. If he decides to run, he could easily take home the victory in this race. (5-1-6-2)
Saturday - 7/31/2010
The 3rd feature races, race 7 Saturday night, features something we have not seen in a long time, an undefeated greyhound.
1. Wp's Clinton (Fuzzys Cannon - M's Countess Amy) got refocused on running and winning over his last couple of efforts and it has made a difference. When he breaks he is as fast as anyone, and the 1 box helps him out tonight.
2. La's Gigi (Be Discrete - La's Felisha) has some early speed and can be a factor in races when she breaks and is close to the leaders in the early stages of the race. She needs to have a quick start to have a chance.
3. Mr Barret (Fuzzys Cannon - Miss Kissable) might not have won a ton of races as of late, but he has been a force in almost all of his efforts. He can break and close and is a double threat to the leaders. If he gets a break here or there, he could surprise.
4. Gm's Dale (Deerfield Site* - Steffie's Charm) has loads of early speed and could be the one that is first to the turn in this effort. The problem is that he is short in the stretch and could be again here. Can he hold on? We will see.
5. Wiki Letsgetloud (Always Faithful - Not Short Onluck) is a ship in from Wheeling that has made it to grade A with even steady running. Not big early flash or closing ability, so she will pretty much finish where she started. From the 5 box, she needs to be around early.
6. Bl Punch N Judy (Lonesome Cry - Jr's Mojo) is a whole different greyhound on the front end. When she hits the lid she can go toe to toe with the best of them. Without the lead she has been suspect in the past. A big, BIG, break is needed.
7. Kiowa Top Design (Dodgem By Design - Flying Acme) has hung around the grade A ranks for awhile now and hopes to continue it for a long time. With a bit of break and a bit of close, he is tough, but only if he is close early. Here he needs to get out of the starting box.
8. Really Xtreme (Afleet Alex - Xtreme Hustler) looks to keep the undefeated streak intact in this effort. From the lead or from behind, this puppy has been nothing but perfect. He will have to stop winning sometime, but it might not be tonight. He has been better than this field as of late, streak continues?
Ok so I'm a homer, but I'll go with the Afleet Alex offspring and take Really Xtreme to win this effort. This greyhound might just be a puppy, but he has all the skills of a veteran grade A competitor. He has been faster and better than anyone else in this field in the last 5 efforts in a row. Time to show that last race and all the others wins were not a fluke. He is going to chase early and drive home to steal away another win in this effort tonight. Gm's Dale is the one that Xtreme will be chasing as he has the best early speed and will have early command of this effort. In the stretch he will be no match for the closer and will have to settle for a game effort in place at the finish line. Mr Barret lacks the early speed to get close enough to the lead to steal away the win at the wire, but he does have enough late speed to close and challenge at the finish line. He likes the rail and the 3 box is close enough to contend in this effort. More of the same for this DQ greyhound. Wp's Clinton gets a look because of the post and his last race. There he broke quickly and posted up a strong win and from a great rail box, he might have a chance to factor throughout once again. If he wants to go, he could have a shot at the upset in this effort. (8-4-3-1)
Sunday - 8/1/2010
Capping off the weekend in the 11th race on the card of the Sunday matinee, the veteran gets a chance to shine in the spotlight again.
1. Close Up Magic (Just Kickin It - Getcha Some Play) came up with a big win to move up to grade A in his last effort, but this is the 1 box not the 8 box. That could be a major problem for him in this effort.
2. Passing Gear (Flying Missle - Nikki Di) can hit the lid on occasion and when he does see the front end, he runs as hard as he can for as long as he can. Without the lead he is not the same greyhound, so a huge break is needed once again in this one.
3. Ww Kay Sea (Greys Flamebeau - Ww Kiowa Silver) has won 2 of 6 races since joining the OPKC. In each she cleared early and races off alone. Posted up here, she needs to come out well in order to factor.
4. Pat C Bk Shiraz (Black Shiraz - Paradise) has found not only his break in his last couple of efforts, but the money at the finish line too. He beat some good greyhounds to the turn last time out, but was short late. If he can hit it, he could pull off the upset.
5. Citation Cam (Flying Penske - Ctw Miss Kelly) gets the old award for this race. Ok so she is over 4, but has not slowed down one step. She has found he break and is winning at will once again at OP. If she can get it done, it will be the 53rd in her career.
6. Yo My Dilbert (My Zapper - My Cattie Breeze) has not been breaking like he was and that has been his downfall recently in races. If he is close early he runs really tough and the outside post might be his best friend in this effort.
7. Hanks Dancequeen (Maryville Rumble* - Dance Of Dreams) climbed back to grade A after a strong win in her last effort. She has righted the ship and draws a favorable post once again today. If she wants it, she might just get it.
8. Mohican Cider (Kiowa Sweet Trey - Ww Apple Cider) is a recent shipper that has shown some closing ability so far at the OPKC. From the outside posts she has run well, so the 8 box could get her in the money for the 4th time in 5 starts in this race.
It's throwback time at the Orange Park Kennel Club on Sunday as Citation Cam uses her fresh puppy legs to burst from the starting box, take early control of this race, and last in the stretch for the victory. Trying to challenge should be everyone around her. Ww Kay Sea gets a look even though he has not been too consistent as of late. He has a big upside and with not a lot of speed to his inside, he could break quick and be very close in the early stages of this race. If not, well you know the rest. Pat C Bk Shiraz has really started to come into his own and last time out he beat Citation Cam to the early lead. Granted he was short late, but still that was an accomplishment. Here if he can do it again, you never know. Yo My Delbert is only one of two greyhounds in this field to have 6 grade A races in a row and he needs to get out of his funk. I know he might not be a threat to win, but if he gets out of the starting box, he has a chance to be around throughout. Breaking, breaking, breaking, is the only thing he needs to worry about in this effort. (5-3-4-6)