This weekend at the Orange Park Kennel Club we have a pair of veteran runners who are getting back into the groove of things.
What makes it even more exciting is that they are racing over different distances in different races. A double chance to see the best at the racetrack compete.
They are not the only ones that will be showing off their talents too, we still have loads of others ready to go in our 4 feature races.
So without further ado, let's jump right into the action on Friday evening in the 15th race on the card.
1. Uss West Coast (Lonesome Cry - Uss Mysterious) gets a great post here with the 1 box and could make the most of it. With wins in 3 of 6 efforts, he is a threat & could prove tough again.
2. Rs Libby Lu (Lonesome Cry - Sweet Sandra Sue) the queen of the 550 yard course, this double stakes winner is in one of her best boxes. Expect her to break fast and be the one to beat in this race.
3. Mw Springer (Lewis And Wax - Mw's April Rain) is hot off the stakes rounds and has proved that he can hang with the best of them. He runs his best close to the lead, so a good break is needed here.
4. Whyjam Ms Ann (Ethereal Force - Cv's Michaela) might be new to the racetrack, but has shown some flashes of speed in the open. Another game runner, she needs to be around the pace early on.
5. Gm's Dale (Deerfield Site* - Steffie's Charm) is a solid grade A competitor that chases the pace most of the time. He doesn't mind the 5 box, but will need to have room early in order to be effective.
6. Kiowa Vanessa (Flying Hydrogen - Greg Kiowa Girl) might not have won a bunch of races lately, but she has been around in all of them. A steady runner with a bit of close, the outside post will help her out.
7. Fay's Mcqueen (Maryville Rumble* - Rooftop Kaylee) is a monster on the lead and might just have the best raw speed in the bunch. The issue is that he has not been breaking like he can. If he does, watch out!
8. Irish Memory (Maryville Rumble* - Wheelie Cool) is a game runner when she can get close to the early leaders in any race. Posted outside, a big early rush is what she needs in this effort tonight.
Easy picking here! LOL! Rs Libby Lu is the one to beat, HANDS DOWN! She likes the rail, gets the rail, and will make the early lead in this race. Once in front, no one at the racetrack can run her down! Expect the new win streak to continue. Uss West Coast was a runner-up to Libby Lu in their last match-up, and that should be where he finishes again tonight. He is in a much better post in this race though and might be able to get a bit closer at the start of this race. I don't know if this will be a big win for Libby, because from the 1 box, West Coast is going to make it interesting. Mw Springer might be short on starts, but he is long on talent. This puppy stakes competitor has been against the best and has proven that he can hang. He likes it inside and has enough early to get close and enough late to hang around. He might not be a winning threat here, but he is for sure an in the money threat in this effort. Kiowa Vanessa has not won a race in a while, but she has been competitive in each and every start. With 4 straight trifectas and 6 straight in the money finishes, she is always around the leaders. Tonight will not break from the norm, she will keep on keeping on. (2-1-3-6)
Saturday - 6/26/2010
Feature race two on the weekend comes our way in the 11th race on the card for Saturday Matinee.
1. Kiowa Girlrumble (Maryville Rumble* - Kiowa Glamorgirl) might be moving up in grade, but she has the chops to hang with the grade A's. A rail lover in the one box, what is not to like about this effort?
2. Kiowa Mon Dream (Kiowa Mon Manny - Kiowa Kay Dream) has some good early speed and he is going to need it against this tough field. He likes the rail too and this post might be enough for him to contend.
3. Raiders Benito (Dodgem By Design - Raiders Azeri) just recently moved back to grade A and seems to have things going well for him once again. He is posted well here, but must break to be in the mix.
4. Black Licorice (Heart Rumble* - Spicy Candy) is an on again off again greyhound that has great raw speed when the faucet is open. From a talented litter, he can surprise at any time. Tonight? Maybe.
5. Rays Finishline (My Judge - Ivyona Star) if coming off a win and is back over 550 yards. He is a closer at the shorter distance and should be making up ground throughout. The post might be trouble.
6. Bh's Simplylegit (Bh's Rackem Up - Simple Life) has clawed her way back into grade A after some strong front running efforts. She has good early speed and it might be enough to wire this field and win.
7. Playing Amy Song (Golddust Memory - Greys Irish Song) was the point leader in the puppy stakes and could easily win this race if the mood suits her. She can break & has more late speed than the rest. If she gets loose, this race is over.
8. Kiowa Heart True (Heart Rumble* - Kiowa Oneofakind) post is what is going to make this greyhound a threat. She has some good early speed and if she gets around close, she could factor to the finish.
This race is a hard one to figure out, but I'm going to give it a shot. Being a matinee, the speed is going to hold on better than it would in the evening card, so let's go with the early speeders. Bh's Simply Legit gets a good post position here on the outside and should be able to clear early and have room to rush to the turn. Once in the lead he is going to be pressed, but should steal enough to hold on at the finish line. Pressing him should be the Kiowa duo of Kiowa Girlrumble and Kiowa Heart True. Both greyhounds are posted up extremely well in this race and each has an opportunity to take home a victory. Girlrumble might have a bit of a better shot though as she is not short at the end of the race and might have a chance if she breaks to take someone off the lead in the stretch. Heart True might be overlooked today, but that would be a mistake. From this post position she is dangerous. Look 3 races back where she ran the best effort of her career from this very some box. Winning might be a stretch, but threatening is not. Now for the wildcard. Playing Amy Song. I know the closer will probably be the favorite to win this effort and if she gets loose early, she will walk away and hind from this field. That's the thing, IF she wants to run. You never know when that is. Here I expect her to be left early on, for her to make up ground throughout, and for her to come flying up at the finish line to challenge the leaders. Could she win? Yes. The only question is, WILL SHE? (6-1-8-7)
Saturday - 6/26/2010
The fun continues on with the 15th and final race on the card for Saturday Evening.
1. Lady Gator (Get Over - Rooftop Flojo) has looked impressive on the early lead in her races so far over 660 yards, but she needs to get there as she hasn't run from behind yet. If she breaks, OUCH!
2. Power Exchange (Craigie Whistler - Aunt Redmoon) is running tough as of late and is loving the inside post that he drew in this effort. If he gets loose, he could upset at high odds in this race.
3. Se's We Goin Too (P's Skidway - We Goin Sizzler) is back in grade A and looking to contend. This even runner can close a bit on occasion, but runs her best near the early lead. She must break tonight.
4. Kiowa Deli Dee (Flying Stanley - Kiowa About Deli) is an early speed merchant that must be in front at the start in order to contend. Holding on against this field will be tough and she will need a ton to do it.
5. Kelsos Henchman (Kelsos Fusileer - Kelsos Picilino) hot off the stakes rounds and back over 660, he is thriving. He has been closing fast in the stretch and should be factoring at the wire again.
6. Bl Tip Toe Marie (Lonesome Cry - Jr's Mojo) won back to back races to get back into grade A, but the hill and competition has gotten bigger and tougher. She must break and get to the rail if she wants a chance.
7. La's Lucy (Get Over - Ruby Is The Best) is finally breaking again and that is bad news for whomever she is racing against. Remember she ran 37.06 just over a month ago, she is the one to beat in this race.
8. Eds Go Touch (Domingo Dodge - Cherokee Queen) seems to be waking up as of late with back to back wins and a return to grade A. He has decided to keep closing throughout the race. Another 8 box, we'll see.
La's Lucy is the one to beat in this effort. She is better than the rest of this field when she is on, and right now with back to back jacks, she is on. She likes it outside and should be out and gone early on again tonight. All she has to do is be close and she should take home the 3-peat. Power Exchange has been long in the odds department as of late, but really he shouldn't be. He has been running tough ahd has been in the cash in 4 of his last 6 efforts in grade A, including a win 4 starts ago from a similar post position. If he can break well, he has the opportunity to upset in this race at a good price. Kelsos Henchman has been on a mission since coming back to 660 yards and should be closing well once again in this effort. The only question mark is the post position. This is not the 1 box and will have to find room early on in order to get around the turn and have a chance to close late. If he clears, he will be a threat. Eds Go Touch has figured it out once again and that late kick should come in handy in this effort. Post is on his side too as he likes it out here. Just look at his last race, an easy win from this post. Tonight he is looking for another strong effort. (7-2-5-8)
Sunday - 6/27/2010
Wrapping up the weekend we head to the 7th race on the card for Sunday Matinee.
1. Gm's Warner (Lewis And Wax - Gs Kayla) comes back to grade A after a strong closing win in his last effort. Here from a similar post position, he might have another shot at the upset victory.
2. Miss Romy (Fuzzys Cannon - Miss Kissable) is far better than he lines show. She loves the rail and gets it here in the 2 box. In the open this stakes finalist could make quick work of this field.
3. Citation Cam (Flying Penske - Ctw Miss Kelly) is the cagey veteran in this field and could take it box to wire at any time. Without the lead she is not the same greyhound. Will she break? That's the question.
4. Tmc's Bestofshow (Dodgem By Design - Tmc's Pardon Me) is explosive when she can get out of the starting box and close to the early lead in any race. She has been hot as of late and hopes it continues here.
5. Wp's Lonesumdove (Lonesome Cry - Fuzzys Spider) has jumped up the ladder to grade A in a hurry. In those 3 wins she came from off the pace to win. If she hopes to threaten, she has to have a clean trip.
6. Gs Craig (Lonesome Cry - Tv Candycane Gal) is a solid threat in grade A that just seems to never go away. He breaks close, hangs close, and finishes close in almost all of his starts. Contending again? YES!
7. Kiowa Kind Gel (Flying Penske - Kiowa Oneofakind) need to flash that she is known for once again in this effort. She has been able to last late on occasion too. From a favorable post, she has a shot.
8. Kiowa Fly Remi (Flying Stanley - Flying Rolling) is another ankle burner in this field that gets another shot at the grade A greyhounds. He is very short in the stretch though, so a big lead early will be needed to contend.
There is a good mix of early and late speed greyhounds in this field and even ones that are posted up nicely too. So let's go with a little bit of both. Miss Romy might not be in the early lead in this race, but in the stretch no one is going to beat her to the finish line. She has a great post, finally inside, and she will break well enough to be close early on. That is all she needs as no one here can run with her in the stretch. Whatever she needs to do to win, she is going to do in this effort. Tmc's Bestofshow has looked really well close or on the early lead in her last couple of races. She has won 2 of 3 starts and with no big time speed to her inside, she might be able to see the front in this race. She will have extra room early on with the empty box. Upset minded, she might pull off back to back wins. Kiowa Kind Gel is the best early speed greyhound with class in this race. I know she is short late and will probably be once again in this race. Holding on at the wire will be a task, but she has risen to the occasion in this past. The post will help her. Watch out if she gets some help behind her today. Gs Craig has really stepped up his game as of late and has been contending at the finish line with the best of them. He has closed in all of those starts and should continue to make up ground in this race too. He is tough on the lead if he can get loose, but that might be a task against the big time early speed to either side of him. Look for another in the money effort today. (2-4-7-6)